DESKTOP COMPUTERS—The two desktop computers are considered SECURE as they are hard-wired terminals. They are best for actions requiring privacy.
LAPTOP COMPUTERS—NOT considered secure. None of our computers are considered GAMING COMPUTERS, but patrons may access online games. External gaming devices may not be brought into the library to be attached to our computers.
None of our computers are considered CHILDREN’S COMPUTERS, but may be used by children.
NO FOOD OR DRINK is allowed in either of the computer areas when using the equipment.
ONLY LIBRARY CARD HOLDERS 6 and OLDER may use the computers, provided they
have adequate computer knowledge. The Librarian may make that determination.
TIME LIMIT—DESKTOPS: Patrons may spend 30 minutes on a desktop computer. If no
one is waiting, additional time can be given by Librarian.
TIME LIMIT—LAPTOPS: Patrons may spend 1 hour on a laptop. If no one is waiting,
additional time can be given by Librarian.
PERSONAL HEADPHONES OR EARBUDS are allowed.
PERSONAL LAPTOPS, TABLETS, and SMARTPHONES are allowed.
VISITORS may use the computers and/or Wi-Fi up to twice every 3 months without a
PERSONAL BEHAVIOR WHEN USING COMPUTERS
• Non-disruptive, QUIET behavior is required when using the computers; social media
bullying is not tolerated.
• Abusive, potentially damaging handling of computers is not permitted.
• Offensive or pornographic photos, messaging, or websites are not permitted using RCL computers or when using its Wi-Fi inside or outside the building. Riley City Library
computers are in compliance with the Kansas Children’s Internet Protection Act (CIPA).
• Illegal transactions are not permitted to or from RCL computers or when using its Wi-Fi
inside or outside the building.
• The Director or assistants have the right to end your computer session for any reason.
They may also ask you to modify any inappropriate or non-permitted behavior in order
for you to continue your computer session.
Revised and Approved by Riley City Library Board
October 17, 2016